Re: [Orgmode] Custom agenda question

From: Peter Westlake
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Custom agenda question
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:36:26 +0100

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:03 +0200, "Carsten Dominik"
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2009, at 2:21 AM, Manish wrote:
> > Once you've got your agenda organized right with todo's in order
> > etc. then
> > it's just a little disruptive to go anywhere else for a little extra
> > detail to
> > get some more context.  But I agree agenda should be as compact as
> > possible.. may be the extra lines could be a toggle switch?
>
> Hmmmm.
>
> I am not yet convinced, but I have made a little toy implementation
> for you and others to try out and commet on.
>
> Please get the latest version and press `E' in the agenda to
> toggle the display of a small amount (see variable
> `org-agenda-entry-text-maxlines') of text from the entry in
> the agenda.

This is a very nice feature! Once it is fully implemented,
it will have a benefit that you may not have anticipated,
as explained below:

Many of my TODO items include links to the online places
where the task is to be done. I also use Org id links to
the tasks whenever I write about them in my work log, and
org-insert-link expands the link in the task to give
something like "Headline Text {{link address}{link text}}".
Because the link address is visible, it's very cluttered.

With the new feature, I can put the links in the extra text
and avoid cluttering up the headline. Hmm, but then they won't
show up as links in the agenda view. Regardless of that, it's
a good feature, and much appreciated!

Peter.