RE: [Orgmode] Feature idea: Automatic clocking

From: Nuxoll, Andrew
Subject: RE: [Orgmode] Feature idea: Automatic clocking
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 09:18:44 -0700

So, I dig the idea of automatic clocking.  I've been trying to use the manual
clock feature and I haven't been able to train myself to do it very reliably.
I think the big problem is that I don't have a big stake in it.  I'm not
billing different accounts for my time.  The only one who sees the clock data
is me.  So, the motivation is low.

Here's an alternative implementation of autoclocking:
1.  You specify what hours you're typically working on tasks.  For example, if
your org list was used it work this might be 9am-5pm except for lunch break:
12pm-1pm.  Alternatively, if it was your at home org list then it would be
6pm-10pm and also 7am-8am.
2.  Whenever you mark a TODO item as DONE, the org-mode assumes that's all
you've been working on since the last time you marked something DONE.

Obviously this is flawed in a number of ways, but it is easy to implement and I
think you could get a reasonable measure of what you're spending your time on.
For those of us, like me, who don't have a strong motivation to clock our time
that might be plenty sufficient.  The fact that automatic CLOCK: entries would
appear when I marked an item as DONE would motivate me to go and edit the entry
to be more accurate if it wasn't.

I would really value a feature like this.

:AMN: