Re: [Orgmode] TODO keywords into drawers ?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] TODO keywords into drawers ?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:12:36 +0100

On Aug 18, 2009, at 6:31 AM, Xavier Maillard wrote:

hi,

I am relatively new (even if I used it years ago) to orgmode.

I still remember.... :-)

I extensively use remember to jot down new tasks/notes/... it
feets perfectly since it is almost instantaneous.

Sometimes, when at work, someone enters my room to speak about a
project. When finished, I fire remember and try to sum up our
discussion. This is not really a task to do but when reviewing my
notes, it can be switched to a task entry.

With my current setup, I have to differenciate, when in remember,
if it is a task, a note or something else. If I do not, I do not
see these entries when reviewing my org files. This is the big
hole in my system which makes me not trust my system :/

For things that you need to decide about later, I would use
a special template with a special tag.  You can then later
always searc for this tag, decide, and refile.

What I'd like to have in orgmode is a simpler and homogeneous way
to do things.

* TODO foo bar

would be

* foo bar
:TYPE:
TODO
:END:

No.  I believe that having TODO keywords and tags in special
places is really critical for Org-mode when used in a simple
way.  And since the philosophy of Org is to build up use from
simple to complex, I don't want to change this.  Also, I fail
to see how this would help the proble you describe above.

On the other hand, you can define with a template that will
interactively prompt you for a tag, so that you can make this
decision when starting remember.

- Carsten

a note would be

* foo bar
:TYPE:
NOTE
:END:

etc.

A default entry would have a special entry type -say UNKNOWN-
thus making the review much more trustable. What I like in this
idea is the homegenous view of any orgmode file and I guess this
would make orgmode file parsing a lot easier.

We could even go further by storing all orgmode entries meta-data
into drawers (tags, timestamps, states, ...)

WDYT ?

Regards

Xavier