Re: [Orgmode] Re: orgmode opening source file from agenda when marking a

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: orgmode opening source file from agenda when marking as done
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 18:36:46 -0400

Michael Gilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Aug 17,2009, at 1:16 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:
>
> > org-after-todo-state-change-hook is a variable defined in `org.el'.
>
> Thank you, John for the detailed explanation. Thank you, Samuel, for
> this help.
>
> The value, alas, is nil.
>
> Other ideas?

So this is a persistent state of affairs? You restart emacs from scratch
and it still does it? If that's the case, then one of your
initialization files must have been modified - check modification dates,
compare against backups - by hook or crook, find what changed.

If that still does not produce results, you can bisect your way to the
place where the problem appears: start emacs with the -q switch and load
.emacs piecemeal: open the .emacs file in a buffer and evaluate it one
s-expr at a time by placing the cursor after the closing paren of the
s-expr and using C-x C-e (that is bound to eval-last-sexp).  Or if you
prefer bigger bites, mark a region and use M-x eval-region on it. Try
the agenda commands that give you trouble after every evaluation.  At
the beginning, you are going to get errors, since org-mode will not even
have been loaded. At some point, the agenda command is going to succeed
and either behave properly or misbehave - but then you know which part
of the initialization file is responsible and you can concentrate your
efforts on that.

You may also find that the problem arises when your .emacs loads another
initialization file, in which case you go through the same process on
that file. Eventually, you'll find the culprit.

HTH,
Nick

PS. It might be a good idea to post a more detailed description of
*exactly* what you are doing and what you see when the misbehavior
occurs. Although I read the thread completely, I'm still not quite sure
what exactly you are seeing - for example, could it be just the "note"
behavior of the org-log-done variable? (C-h v org-log-done <RET> for
details).  Taking a screenshot of emacs and posting that might help as
well.