Re: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] org-docview.el - Link to PDF files from org-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] org-docview.el - Link to PDF files from org-mode
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 23:33:03 +0200

On Aug 12, 2009, at 8:45 PM, Leo wrote:

On 2009-08-12 19:25 +0100, Jan Böcker wrote:
the new doc-view-mode in emacs 23 can be used to view DVI, PDF and
PostScript files. I have written a custom link type for org-mode to
allow linking to those files from org-mode.

If doc-view-mode could provide native support for those file types, it'd
be much more realistic to replace standard viewers provided by the os.
Unfortunately the last time I checked which is quite a while ago, it
converted those files into images and use Emacs to view them.

A proper pdf viewer is crucial to academic workers and in each of the
major operating systems, there are free capable viewers available. So if
this feature is to be in org core, please don't make it the default.

I don't really see how this would be a problem.  Jan does
not propose to make "file:" links use docview to display
a pdf file.  But when a user is looking at a file in docview,
it does make sense to make store link point to the docview
of the file, I would think.  No conflict in sight.

- Carsten

Thanks.

Leo

--
Emacs uptime: 2 days, 4 hours, 16 minutes, 37 seconds