[Orgmode] [ANN] org-docview.el - Link to PDF files from org-mode

From: Jan Böcker
Subject: [Orgmode] [ANN] org-docview.el - Link to PDF files from org-mode
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:25:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

the new doc-view-mode in emacs 23 can be used to view DVI, PDF and PostScript files. I have written a custom link type for org-mode to allow linking to those files from org-mode.

This is the first thing besides .emacs customization that I have written in elisp; as such, any feedback would be much appreciated. I have only tested it with PDF files so far, but it should work with anything doc-view-mode can display.

The attached file adds support for org-store-link inside doc-view-mode buffers. The link syntax is:
        docview:/path/to/file.pdf:<page>
where <page> is the page number to visit.

To use it, copy it to your load path as org-docview.el and add

        (require 'org-docview)

to your .emacs file.

I'd also like to suggest to integrate this functionality into the standard org-mode distribution, as emacs 23 includes doc-view-mode by default.

I am releasing the code under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 or later.

Jan Böcker