Re: [Orgmode] Re: Literate Programming with Org mode

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Literate Programming with Org mode
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:55:52 -0600

Hi Sébastien,

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> "Eric Schulte" wrote:
>> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Now (I've done some changes, explained below), I can...
>
> Stored: Header
> Stored: Condition to be satisfied
> Stored: File Enterprise
> Stored: File Lessons
> Stored: File Payment
> Added to
> /home/sva/Downloads/emacs/site-lisp/noweb-example/w-babel/Enterprise.sql
> Added to /home/sva/Downloads/emacs/site-lisp/noweb-example/w-babel/Lessons.sql
> Added to /home/sva/Downloads/emacs/site-lisp/noweb-example/w-babel/Payment.sql
> tangled 3 source-code blocks
>
> Great!

Wonderful, so if we're creating source-code files then we're most of the
way there.

> Though, this is not entirely what I expected. Let's take the Enterprise.sql
> file:
>
> -- generated by org-babel-tangle
>
> --
> [[file:~/Downloads/emacs/site-lisp/noweb-example/w-babel/org-babel-lit-prog.org::*File%20Enterprise][block-3]]
> -- <<sql-init>>
> SELECT abcID, etpID, etpAssurATPolNum
> FROM enterprise JOIN record
>     ON (etpAbcID_fk = abcID)
> WHERE etpAbcID_fk
> -- <<sql-cond>>
> -- block-3 ends here
>
> I'm expecting the sql-init and sql-cond blocks to be replaced by their defined
> equivalent. So, in this case, I should have the following file:
>
> -- generated by org-babel-tangle
>
> --
> [[file:~/Downloads/emacs/site-lisp/noweb-example/w-babel/org-babel-lit-prog.org::*File%20Enterprise][block-3]]
> -- Hey, Emacs! This is a -*- coding: utf-8 -*- file!
>
> -- no longer display the count message
> SET NOCOUNT ON
>
> DECLARE @dateFmtStyleIn int; SET @dateFmtStyleIn = 120 -- ODBC canonical
> DECLARE @dateFmtStyleOut int; SET @dateFmtStyleOut = 103 -- French dd/mm/yyyy
>
> DECLARE @firstDayOfThisMonth smalldatetime
> SET @firstDayOfThisMonth = CONVERT(smalldatetime,
>                                    CAST(YEAR(GETDATE()) AS char(4)) + '-'
>                                    + CAST(MONTH(GETDATE()) AS char(2)) + '-'
>                                    + '01' + ' 00:00:00',
>                                    @dateFmtStyleIn)
>
> SELECT abcID, etpID, etpAssurATPolNum
> FROM enterprise JOIN record
>     ON (etpAbcID_fk = abcID)
> WHERE etpAbcID_fk
>
>       IN (SELECT actAbcID_fk
>           FROM status
>           WHERE (staID = 338 AND staEtat = 3))
>       AND abcSignDate < @firstDayOfThisMonth
>   ORDER BY abcID
> -- block-3 ends here
>
> Do we agree on this?

Agreed.  This is the contents of my Enterprise.sql (as generated by
org-babel tangle).  I believe this is the contents that you wanted.  I'm
not sure what could be different between our setups...

-- generated by org-babel-tangle

--
[[file:~/src/noweb-example/w-babel/org-babel-lit-prog.org::*File%20Enterprise][block-3]]
  -- <<sql-init>>
[...]

Some changes which I would still like to make to the above are
1) use relative paths when linking back to the org-mode file
2) somehow activate an org-mode minor mode in the source-code file which
   will then "turn on" the org-mode style links in the source code file

>>> Is it normal that you don't include the extension in the tangle property?
>>> Does it add the language extension automatically?
>>
>> Yes, org-babel adds the language specific extension automatically.  This
>> could be changed/overridden if it proves to limiting.  It grew out of
>> the fact that originally source-code files were named based upon the
>> basename of the org-mode file and the language extension.
>
> I find that this is OK right now. Though, people could want to give an
> explicit extension, moreover for `.htm' or `.html' files where standard
> conventions are not that clear.

Maybe I can add a simple rule.  *If* there is already an extension
*then* don't add the default extension.  I'll add this to the Org-babel
tasks.

>>> I have problems as well...
>>
>> Again maybe this is the result of conflicting values of org-odd-levels-only?
>> Please try this with the newer org-mode file [1]. I was able to export this
>> to latex resulting in the following tex file [5] and pdf file [6]. I was
>> also able to export this file to html which includes code highlighting [7].
>>
>>> Thanks for all! This is seriously a hot topic you've almost solved...
>>
>> Sorry I can't be more specific with answers to your problems tangling and
>> exporting. Please do give the new org-mode file [1] a try with the latest
>> version org-babel and let me know if the problems persist.
>
> I still had the same problem in the beginning: around the `verbatim'
> environments, I had wrong `\LaTeX{}' environments created...
>
> Though, I found the problem: it's somehow a conflict with the
> `org-special-blocks' package. Un-commenting the following should show you the
> problems:
>
> ;; FIXME This is responsible of problems when used with Org-babel
> ;; (`\LaTeX{}' environments are created around verbatim environments)
> ;; ;; turn Org blocks into LaTeX environments and HTML divs
> ;; (try-require 'org-special-blocks)
>
> ;; literate programming
> (try-require 'org-babel-init)
>
> With the above configuration, I could finally export the Org file in LaTeX.
> Yeeesss.
>
> I have some comments on the resulting file:
>
>     o   sections (and sub-, and subsub-) should not be starred by default,
>         IMHO, and then unnumbered.

This should be addressed in the Org-mode core rather than in Org-babel.

>     o   indentation of code blocks should be preserved.

This should also be addressed in Org-mode proper.

>     o   name of code blocks should be visible in the produced document
>         because, now, I see that the file Enterprise.sql will include the
>         sql-init block, but I don't know where it is described (which page,
>         and which block).

Excellent that you are now seeing sql-init block in Enterprise.sql, I
agree that it would be nice to see the source code block's name in the
exported file.  I will add this to the Org-babel tasks.

> Except these, the result is already very promising!

Thanks for you continued help refining this functionality! -- Eric