Re: [Orgmode] Re: Refile error - Kill is not a (set of) trees

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Refile error - Kill is not a (set of) trees
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 12:33:21 +0200

Fixed, thanks.

- Carsten

On Aug 5, 2009, at 7:39 AM, Chris Mann wrote:

could you please do the following:

- Run Emacs with a minimal configuration
- Make me a test file that will let me reproduce the bug if possible.

Hello Carsten,

I've also been experiencing this behaviour lately. I have been able to
reproduce this consistently with the following:

1) Create a file `reproduce.org', with the following contents:

  * Level1-1
  ** Level2-1
  *** TODO Level3-1
      SCHEDULED: <2009-08-05 Wed>
  ** Level2-2

2) run `emacs -Q' and evalute something resembling the following:

  (progn
    (add-to-list 'load-path "path/to/org-mode/lisp")
    (require 'org-agenda)
    (setq org-agenda-files '("reproduce.org")
org-refile-targets '((("reproduce.org") . (:maxlevel . 2)))))

3) 'M-x org-agenda-list'

4) Move point to the `Level3-1' item in the agenda, 'C-c C-w' and
  attempt to refile it to, for example, Level2-1.

5) Error: org-paste-subtree: The kill is not a (set of) tree(s) [...]

As far as I can tell, the error occurs only when the heading's source
buffer is folded at the `Level1-1' heading; I could not reproduce the
error while the outermost heading was unfolded, regardless of the level
of the refile source / target.

I've investigated this error briefly: I believe `org-back-to-heading'
moves backward (passed the correct heading), to the outer-most heading, causing `org-end-of-subtree' to then search for the start of heading of
the wrong level (too shallow).

Resultingly, the killed region may extend passed the end of the target
subtree. In the above example, I believe the killed text would include
both the level 3 heading and the subsequent level 2 heading.

My suspicion is that this is stemming from a problem within outline- mode.

org-mode 6.29a
GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1

-- Chris