Re: [Orgmode] Keeping org files under git - trimming the repository

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Keeping org files under git - trimming the repository
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 07:18:41 +0100

About a year ago, I decided to learn how to write "macros" in lisp and started by teaching myself about the after-save-hook. I added a hook to auto commit every time I saved any org file. My simple, small text file of todo items is now a giant git repository.

At last a question or two: Does this happen to you? What do you do? What new git command do I need to learn in order to do it?

Is there some way to clone my git repo onto my USB stick, but make it a subset instead of the whole thing? That would be useful for me to learn for other git projects!

I am not a git expert, but I think there a couple of things you can do:

Create a new branch and push just the branch to your usb stick.

Use git rebase to rewrite all your earlier commits into one huge commit.

Using rebase is a bit like juggling chain saws while walking blindfold along a tightrope, so make sure that you pratice on a backup first.

Ian.