Re: [Orgmode] Agenda that shows hierarchy above matches?

From: Tilmann Singer
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Agenda that shows hierarchy above matches?
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:55:48 +0200

At Mon, 3 Aug 2009 06:31:24 +0200,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> >> add the CATEGORY property (C-c C-x p cat TAB) to A and B headings,
> >> something like "Project A", say, and this will appear on the left of
> >> the line in the agenda view in lieu of the file.  Categories can help
> >> give you a single level of context.
> >
> > Nice, thanks. That helps for certain cases. However, sometimes I have
> > deeper nestings in my project files and would still like to see _all_
> > parent headlines of each item marked as TODO in an agenda
> > overview. Also setting it as category would make it necessary
> > duplicate the text of the headline.
> >
> > I guess what I really want is a sparse tree with all top level
> > headlines removed that contain no match.
>
> What about follow mode in the agenda?

The one thing that follow mode does not do is to reveal all contexts
of all TODO or otherwise relevant items at once. Often my entries
marked as TODO have some short text that only makes sense with its
parents, such as "call again" or "reply", so when there are many of
these items in the agenda, with follow mode I can only reveal the
context of one at a time and have to keep all of the previous ones in
short memory. Which is possible to a certain degree, but eventually
reaches the limit of my short memory capacity ...

When I put all headlines under a single top-level item such as
"Projects", the sparse-tree does almost what I want (except that it
does not aggregate multiple agenda org-files). But having a single top
level parent feels a bit wrong.

Til