Re: [Orgmode] Newbie Questions

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Newbie Questions
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 06:27:05 +0200

On Jul 10, 2009, at 5:16 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:

Andrew M. Nuxoll <address@hidden> wrote:

3. Once I set a deadline for a task, it'd be nice if the priority would
increase as the deadline approached.  Ideally the  criteria for
increasing the priority could be specified via a customizable formula.
Does this functionality (or anything like it) exist?

I don't think anything like that exists, but with a Small[1] Amount of
Programming (TM), it could probably be cobbled up - maybe as a cron job?

In fact, the priority does increase.

Org-mode has two notions of priority.

1. The specified priority like [#A]
2. A computed numerical priority

The specified priority is set solely by the user, and it is also the
only thing that influences how prioritized lines are displayed
according to `org-agenda-fontify-priorities'.

The computed priority is a number that all items in the agenda have,
you can look at the actual number pressing `P' in the agenda.
The number is composed of the specified priority times 1000, so #C
items have 0, #B items have 1000 and #A items have 2000.
TO this values, certain amounts are added depending on how close
you are to the deadline, or how long ago an item was first scheduled.

This computed, numerical priority is used when sorting items.

The numbers added for closeness to a deadline are usually not large
enough to make an overdue item with specified priority #B to score
higher than one with #A, but within each group of specified priorities,
closeness to a deadline does make a difference.

If you want items to change from #B to #A automatically, you need
to do some programming, as Nick says.

The formula is not configurable currently, nor is it documented
anywhere, nor do I remember exactly what the formula is :-D .
I am not a big fan of priorities, because I don't think one should
trust the system so much that it will actually decide for you what
to work on.  However, I could dig up the formula, even make it
configurable if there was a need for it.

HTH

- Carsten