[Orgmode] Re: org-mac-protocol problem - Initial content missing

From: CHENG Gao
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-mac-protocol problem - Initial content missing
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 17:08:26 +0800

*On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 10:37:51 +0200
* Also sprach Christopher Suckling <address@hidden>:

> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 02:59:29 +0800, CHENG Gao <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I found "%i" in remember template doesn't work. In remember buffer I
>> only get link to original page. Initial content is not inserted even
>> though I selected them, and even I did "Command-c" after the content is
>> selected.
>>
>> How could I get content remember instead of link?
>
> To be honest, there's not really enough information here to give an
> effective answer. Here are two guesses:
>
> 1. Initial content is only supported from certain applications -
> currently Safari, Skim, and (to a very limited extent) BibDesk. This is
> due to the scope of the applications' AppleScript dictionaries. The
> manual for org-mac-protocol provides a table of which applications are
> supported by org-mac-protocol.
>
> 2. If the remember template or the note template is not creating a
> remember buffer at all, the org-mac-protocol.el may not be loading
> correctly because org-remember-templates has yet to be defined. I am
> about to publish a small change to org-mac-protocol.el and the
> documentation that will eliminate this problem.
>
> HTH,
>
> Christopher

Thank you for your reply. Sorry I did not give enough information in

I am using Safari. I read the manual, and also read your scripts. I know
which applications are supported.

For example, I visit the page:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php

Then I run org-remember from script menu. The remember buffer I got is:

,----
| ##     C-c C-c  "~/.emacs.d/org/notes.org" -> "* Remember"
| ## C-u C-c C-c  like C-c C-c, and immediately visit note at target location
| ## C-0 C-c C-c  "???" -> "* ???"
| ## C-1 C-c C-c  to select file and header location interactively.
| ## C-2 C-c C-c  as child of the currently clocked item
| ## To switch templates, use `M-x org-remember'.  To abort use `C-c C-k'.
|
| *
|
|   Source: [2009-08-02 Sun],
[[http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php][org-protocol.el –
Intercept calls from emacsclient to trigger custom actions:Safari]]
`----

Only timestamp and link to source page.

My settings are:
(I commented out remember template in org-mac-protocol and then put it
in ~/.emacs.d/init.el)

,----
| ;;Org Mode
| (require 'org-mac-protocol)
| (server-start)
|
| (setq org-directory "~/.emacs.d/org/")
| (setq org-default-notes-file "~/.emacs.d/org/notes.org")
| (setq org-remember-templates nil)
| (add-to-list 'org-remember-templates
|            '("AppleScript remember" ?y "* %?\n\n  Source: %u, %c\n\n  %i"
(concat org-directory "notes.org") "Remember"))
| (add-to-list 'org-remember-templates
|            '("AppleScript note" ?z "* %?\n\n  Source: %u\n" (concat
org-directory "notes.org") "Notes"))
| (setq remember-annotation-functions '(org-remember-annotation))
| (setq remember-handler-functions '(org-remember-handler))
| (add-hook 'remember-mode-hook 'org-remember-apply-template)
|
| (require 'org)
| (define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
| (define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
| (setq org-log-done t)

`----

org-mac-protocol runs well, just initial content is not inserted.

BTW, I suggest to put default remember templates in manual, instructing
users to explicitly set templates in .emacs. Users can choose to use
default templates or use their own.

--
Totus mundus agit histrionem