[Orgmode] Re: Restore previous folded state of org buffer

From: User
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Restore previous folded state of org buffer
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 07:04:52 +0000 (UTC)

Bastien <bastienguerry <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> One way to work around this limitation and to safely store the folding
> information would be to put it in a face property for each headline.
> Perhaps you have time to dig into that direction?

Unfortunately, I have more pressing matters to deal with
currently, but I also have a possible solution if someone has a a
little time to fix the package.

The folding information should simply be saved into a separate
file. For example, for notes.org the accompanying folding
information could be in notes.org.fold. The posted code can be
trivially modified to behave this way and with this change the
actual content of the org file is not affected at all and we have
a pretty usable folding save/restore extension for org.

This could be another advantage of org over other packages, since
this feature is pretty basic in my opinion and users usually look
for something like this.

P.S. If saving to a separate file is implemented then it is not
necessary to trigger storing of folding info with the save
hook. The user sometimes doesn't modify the file, only browses
it, so saving fold info when the buffer is closed would be the
perfect solution.