Re: [Orgmode] Re: New screencast about org-protocol.el

From: Greg Newman
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: New screencast about org-protocol.el
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:44:14 -0400

Kieth, I've been working (in my spare time) on a applescript solution that's elegant.  When I get it finished and working I'll let everyone know.  I'm a Safari user but when it's done it will work with FF (or camino) too.

Greg Newman

http://20seven.org

twitter: 20seven

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> wrote:
Keith Lancaster <address@hidden> writes:

> The screencast is great, but I can't seem to get things working. On OS
> X, I consistently get a message from Firefox that no application is
> associated with org-protocol.  This happens on both FF 3 and 3.5, and
> regardless of how I specify emacsclient. Any thoughts on how to debug
> this?

Yes, this is a known issue on Mac OS X. I believe that the problem lies
not with Firefox per se, but with the way in which Mac OS handles
internet protocols. I think someone will have to code something in cocoa
or applescript that passes the protocol to emacsclient. See this post by
Sebastian for more details:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/14903

That said, I don't really know too much about the internals of MacOS X,
so I may be wrong about this.

BTW, the only browser I was able to get working with org-protocol on the
Mac was conkeror, a browser that uses emacs-style keybindings.

http://www.conkeror.org

For emacs users, conkeror is particularly convenient browser, not least
because you can call commands with M-x or get information about commands
using "apropos" (C-h a). If anyone is interested in trying it out, I put
up instructions on how to set up conkeror on the org-protocol page. You
can even bind org-remember to C-c r in conkeror!

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php#sec-8.1

Best,
Matt