Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org-mode as a bug tracker.

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org-mode as a bug tracker.
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:58:07 +0100

At Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:25:11 +0200, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

[...]

> So I calculated what amount of plain text would require a replica of my
> Trac system: it's about 40 MB, with a few thousands tickets. I could
> partitionate this on four unequal parts, though, with the largest being
> 20 MB and 2000 tickets.
>
> Is this data volume too much for org?

I guess the question would be what you intend to do with the data.
For normal bug tracking, I guess inserting, searching and state (todo)
handling would be the main tasks.  These operations would be either
O(n) or O(1), where n is the size of the file, I would imagine, so 20
MB might not be too bad?

I can't give you any specific data points that fall into that
magnitude but I can say that for files 1% that big, a slow netbook has
no problems even doing agenda views which are more expensive
operations than those mentioned above.

> Another nuisance is attached files. This requires an ad-hoc mechanism
> and I'm not sure I want them stored along with the source files.

Actually, I'm glad you brought this up.  Since moving my org files to
be under version control (and boy does that make a difference to my
peace of mind!), I don't know how to deal with attachments.
Attachments, for me, are usually ephemeral and usually types of
documents I don't particularly like to deal with (typically MS Word or
PPT).

Any suggestions?

eric