Re: [Orgmode] tea-time?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] tea-time?
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:24:00 +0200

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:

> It is said that tea-time.el is integrated into org, but I have not
> found it in the manual or in customize yet, at least not   in a direct
> way.

AFAIK what was implemented so far is a way to display the clocking time
against the effort estimate.

> My understanding is that tea-time is something that tells you X, Y
> minutes from now.

If you have an effort estimate, this is what it does in the modeline:
it tells you that your running clock is 9 minute and that the effort is
one hour.

> If it was integrated into org, that suggests to me that I can tell org
> that I have to do something in one hour from now, and org will somehow
> notify me.

With an effort estimate already in place, this is what it does.  And
when you reach the amount of estimated effort, you get a warning.

> It also suggests the possibility that the modeline will count down
> just as it currently counts up in the clock.
>
> But aside from a series of steps, such as create a task, set a time,
> run org-agenda-to-appt, or some type of steps involving effort
> estimates that I have not investigated yet, I don't know how to tell
> org to tell me X in Y minutes.

The steps are these:

- create a task
- add an effort estimate
- clock in

Let me know if this needs to be refined.

> Is there a way to tell org, "say X in Y minutes"?  If not, what are
> the relative merits of appt-add and tea-time and the series of steps?

What I find not practical in the current set up is that you have to set
an effort estimate *manually* in order to get something like tea-time
provides.  I added a new hook on the repo: org-clock-in-prepare-hook
which makes it easy to modify the task effort property.

Examples:

;; Using this hook will set a default effort estimate of 1:00
;; to each task you clock in and has no effort property.
(add-hook 'org-clock-in-prepare-hook
          'my-org-mode-add-default-effort)

(defvar org-clock-default-effort "1:00")

(defun my-org-mode-add-default-effort ()
  "Add a default effort estimation."
  (unless (org-entry-get (point) "Effort")
    (org-set-property "Effort" org-clock-default-effort)))

;;; Using this hook will let the user
(add-hook 'org-clock-in-prepare-hook
          'my-org-mode-ask-effort)

(defun my-org-mode-ask-effort ()
  "Ask for an effort estimate when clocking in."
  (unless (org-entry-get (point) "Effort")
    (let ((effort
           (completing-read
            "Effort: "
            (org-entry-get-multivalued-property (point) "Effort"))))
      (unless (equal effort "")
        (org-set-property "Effort" effort)))))

I have pushed this example to org-hacks.org on Worg.

HTH,

--
 Bastien