Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org Special Ctrl A/E, option "reversed"

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org Special Ctrl A/E, option "reversed"
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:52:46 -0400

Brian van den Broek <address@hidden> wrote:

> Bastien:
>
> As you are wearing the Carsten-hat for the moment, it strikes me that
> Rainer's expectation that a documented value for the variable would be
> available in the customization value-menu is reasonable. Perhaps the
> reversed option ought to be added to that menu? Alas, I can't
> patch---it really is but a bit of elisp that I've got.

Here's the defcustom for this variable (found by C-h v org-special-ctrl-a/e
<RET>
and then clicking on the file link in the *Help* buffer):

,----
| (defcustom org-special-ctrl-a/e nil
|   "Non-nil means `C-a' and `C-e' behave specially in headlines and items.
|
| When t, `C-a' will bring back the cursor to the beginning of the
| headline text, i.e. after the stars and after a possible TODO keyword.
| In an item, this will be the position after the bullet.
| When the cursor is already at that position, another `C-a' will bring
| it to the beginning of the line.
|
| `C-e' will jump to the end of the headline, ignoring the presence of tags
| in the headline.  A second `C-e' will then jump to the true end of the
| line, after any tags.
|
| When set to the symbol `reversed', the first `C-a' or `C-e' works normally,
| and only a directly following, identical keypress will bring the cursor
| to the special positions.
|
| This may also be a cons cell where the behavior for `C-a' and `C-e' is
| set separately."
|   :group 'org-edit-structure
|   :type '(choice
|         (const :tag "off" nil)
|         (const :tag "after stars/bullet and before tags first" t)
|         (const :tag "true line boundary first" reversed)
|         (cons :tag "Set C-a and C-e separately"
|               (choice :tag "Special C-a"
|                       (const :tag "off" nil)
|                       (const :tag "after  stars/bullet first" t)
|                       (const :tag "before stars/bullet first" reversed))
|               (choice :tag "Special C-e"
|                       (const :tag "off" nil)
|                       (const :tag "before tags first" t)
|                       (const :tag "after tags first" reversed)))))

`----

As you can see, the reversed setting is available from the value menu,
under the tag "true line boundary first". So it is there, but perhaps
not obviously.

HTH,
Nick

PS BTW, I share your general dislike of the customization interface, but
I have always thought that I am in the minority on that.