[Orgmode] Re: Latest Org and Carbon Emacs

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Latest Org and Carbon Emacs
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:03:50 -0500

Peter Frings <address@hidden> writes:

> On 09 Jul 2009, at 23:32, Matthew Lundin wrote:
>
>> I found it easiest to install the new org files directly to the
>> Emacs.app directory.
>
> I've seen this approach mentioned several times, but I think it makes
> things more complicated then they should be. By keeping the app and
> the libs in separate places, the two can be updated independently.
> Emacs provides ample ways of supporting this style -- actually, I
> guess it was meant to work that way, until the bundles came along...

Exactly. The beauty of Emacs is that there are multiple options for
everything. Overwriting org when I updated Carbon Emacs wasn't really an
issue for me because 1) Carbon Emacs is very rarely updated 2) I pull
the latest changes from the git repo and run make && make install every
day.

The reason I just threw org-mode in the Emacs.app directory is that I
also had EmacsCVS.app and wanted to keep separate byte-compiled for
Emacs 22 and Emacs 23.

If you're looking for the simplest way to install a byte-compiled
org-mode, I believe you could just clone the git repository to
~/org-mode, run make in the directory, and then add ~/org-mode/lisp to
your load path.

> Of course, it's very convenient when you download Carbon Emacs (or
> others) that everything is in place, but since when do Linuxers care
> about convenience? :-)

Well, I suppose in this case convenience is in the eye of the beholder.
E.g., pacman -S emacs-cvs. ;)

Best,
Matt