Re: [Orgmode] Debian Mono / Tomboy

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Debian Mono / Tomboy
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 03:14:23 -0500

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 09:05:27AM +0100, Ian Barton wrote:

> Mono is a "clone" of Microsoft's Dot Net framework. It's good in that
> makes it possible for Windows C# programmers to develop Linux apps.
> However, the concern is that at some point, MS will decide to start a
> patent war over Mono. If Mono becomes "required" for the Gnome desktop,
> rather than just providing nice add on programs, Gnome would be sunk.
>
> The anti Mono faction want it to be treated like restricted codecs,
> available for download if users choose, but not there by default.

I can appreciate that, just look at the delayed enforcement that
happened with MP3. They waited until it became a "standard" and then
demanded payment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing_and_patent_issues
http://www.chillingeffects.org/patent/notice.cgi?NoticeID=464

Why would we want a Microsoft specific technology used in a core OSS
product? I know Mono devs try to avoid the "us vs them" mentality, but
it comes down to a trust issue.

I won't harp on it, I just thought it was interesting that an
organizer was at the center of the debate. They should just use Org
and be happy!

Russell Adams                            address@hidden