Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-tags-column

From: Ross A. Laird
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-tags-column
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 06:52:53 -0700

Giovanni Ridolfi <address@hidden> writes:

> --- Sab 20/6/09, Ross A. Laird <address@hidden> ha scritto:
>> Well, turns out my heuristic method works:
>>
>> (setq org-tags-column 100)
>>
>> It required a restart of emacs
> ????? Really?
>
> To me it required only:
> + going to the end of the "(setq " line
> + C-x C-e
>
> then the next tag is inserted in column 100.
> When I modify the older headings the
> tag shifted accordingly.
>
> May I sugest you to read the Emacs tutorial
> C-h t
> or surf the Emacs guided tour
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/
>
> and to read the  Emacs Lisp Intro (it is an
> *introduction* to Emacs Lisp; it is not though
> for programmers, but for users
> who want to customize Emacs... well isn't Emacs the
> "The extensible self-documenting text editor?" ;-)

The older settings remained at the old column setting until I restarted.
Since I have more than 100 headings in some org files, I wanted to
adjust them all (not just the new ones). I have sometimes used C-x C-e,
but I find that often I just restart. But yes, I agree: I would
certainly know more if I read more. I occasionally do look through the
manual, and I have even spent time with the Lisp intro; but unless one
uses these functions one a regular basis, it can be tough to remember
the details.

Cheers.

Ross

--