Re: [Orgmode] a few suggestions for org-mode table

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] a few suggestions for org-mode table
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 08:16:49 +0200

Hi Michael,

Org-mode tables are single line per row, and this will
not change, I am quite sure - there are too many problems
associated with this.

Interestingly enough, there was a time when I wanted to have
this as well, and there is even a command in Org where you can
wrap a couple of lines in a table by selecting text from
"the greek" to "empty" and calling `M-x org-table-wrap-region'.

However, this is not a good solution, because it does not work
correctly with the exporters.

A much better solution is to write all that text into one line
and use <N>, for example <20> in the same column in another row
to restrict the width of this column for display.  You can mark this
row with "/" in the first, special column to make sure that it will
not appear in export.

Finally, for export, you can then use attributes to make this
column format as a narrow block.

Here is an example tuned for for LaTeX:

#+ATTR_LaTeX: align=|l|p{2cm}|
|   | x | first letter         |
|   | y | the greek letter ypsilon z still empty |
|   | t | x, y, z and t        |

HTH

- Carsten