Re: [Orgmode] Error when saving remember entries in non org-mode file ty

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Error when saving remember entries in non org-mode file types.
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:21:09 +0200

On Jun 17, 2009, at 1:25 AM, Jere McDevitt wrote:

Org-mode version: 6.27a

I configured org-remember-templates to use a file named "project.todo" to hold todo entries for me.

(setq org-remember-templates
       ("Project" ?p "* TODO %?\n %u"  "~/org/project.todo" bottom )))

I hadn't added the .todo extension to the auto-mode-alist so when it was loaded to be written to by the org-remember-handler, it came up by default in fundamental-mode, not org-mode.

This generates an error condition that I tracked down in the org- remember.el file to line 887 in the org-remember-handler function:

Yes, target files for remember templates must be in Org-mode.
That does make sense normally, because your TODO tasks
are Org nodes.

I would simply recommend to actually use a .org extension.

I you don't want to do that, instead of adding to auto-mode-alist,
you can start the file with

# -*- mode: org -*-

HTH

- Carsten

((not (org-mode-p))
       (if (eq heading 'top)
           (goto-char (point-min))
         (goto-char (point-max))
         (or (bolp) (newline)))
       (insert text-before-node-creation)

The error is that text-before-node-creation apparently is a nil and the insert routine is generating an error because of it. This variable is set earlier in the handler at around line 845 but only if the text being inserted does not look like an org-outline-regexp:

 (unless (looking-at org-outline-regexp)
   ;; add a headline
   (setq text-before-node-creation (buffer-string))

Because my template actually does look like an org-outline-regexp (it starts with "* TODO"), that variable is never set and because the buffer is not in org-mode, this code is triggered using the text- buffer-node-creation.

The simple work around was to add .todo files to the auto-mode-alist (or I could have changed the template), but I thought I would post a note about it.

Emacs-orgmode mailing list
address@hidden