Re: [Orgmode] org-remember templates with dynamic target headline

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-remember templates with dynamic target headline
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 07:09:53 +0200

On Jun 17, 2009, at 8:20 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:

Daniel J. Sinder <address@hidden> wrote:

I want a remember template that will have a target headline based on
the date on which I call org-remember.

For a simple example, the effect I'd like to achieve is shown by
putting the following in my .emacs:

(setq org-remember-templates
     `(("Journal" ?j "* %u %?\n" "~/org/wjournal.org"
,(format-time-string "%G: Week %V"))))

I'm an elisp noob, but I realize the problem here is that
format-time-string is only evaluated once when my .emacs is read. So,
unless I restart emacs every week.  This doesn't work.

How can I cause format-time-string to be re-evaluated whenever
org-remember is called?

You cannot, unless you change the code. Keith Swartz had a similar
question recently and although I cannot find it in the Gmane archive
(second time today - maybe I'm doing something wrong), here is the last
part of the thread:

Hi Nick,

thank you for the reminder, I had wanted to do something about this.

I am indeed a bit hesitant to allow just a lisp form here, because erroneous
setup of the remember template structure might then lead
to hard-to-trace problems.

However, I am fine with allowing a *function* in this element, as
it is in fact already allowed for the target file name.

I have just pushed a fix that will accept a function in this place
and call it to get the true headline.

Daniel, Keith,

Hope that solves your issue.

- Carsten