[Orgmode] Re: Sourceforge community award

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Sourceforge community award
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:20:45 -0500

First let me say congratulations to Carsten and everyone else on
receiving this honor. Org-mode deserves every bit of recognition it
receives!

Brian van den Broek <address@hidden> writes:

>> 1. Complete this sentence in about 140 characters: "Our project is
>> [-foo-]."  For example, "Our project is a tool that helps you wash your
>> car."
>
> Org-mode allows you to master your personal and project information
> your way, in plain text, with features which stay out of your way
> until you want them, all backed by the power of Emacs.
>
> (I didn't notice a mention of Emacs in other suggestions; seems
> essential to me.)

I very much like Brian's description of org-mode. I think it does a nice
job of capturing the power and flexibility of the tool.

I myself have been puzzling over this question and haven't been able to
come up with a pithy sentence that sums up the full scope org-mode.
While I think that org-mode is first and foremost a productivity tool,
those unfamiliar with it might be inclined to see it as just "one more
GTD application." But as org-mode aficionados know, it is much, much
more. It is an outliner (the best ever, IMHO), a wiki, a publishing
environment, a note-taking tool, an ad-hoc database system, a
spreadsheet editor, a bookmark manager, etc. In addition to managing
todos and projects, org-mode allows one to perform in one place all
sorts of little tasks (making quick tables, storing random bits of
information, organizing web bookmarks, etc) that would otherwise require
several big GUI applications to accomplish. And it does so in data that
is fully portable. In this sense, Emacs and org-mode offer a truly
integrated computing environment. Org-mode can operate as a simple
outliner and scheduler; but it can also easily serve as a digital hub
that manages and links to everything else. This is something that other
applications often promise---and that many pundits point to as the
future of "cloud" computing---but that remains, for many computer users,
an elusive dream. Org mode takes us "back to the future," as it were. On
the one hand, it takes us back to the basics of plain text. On the other
hand, it points towards a future of truly integrated computing, in which
the walls surrounding big, old-fashioned GUI applications and closed
operating systems are broken down.

That's not 140 characters, alas.

Congratulations again!

- Matt