[Orgmode] Re: Agenda view: How many hours did I work today, and on what

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Agenda view: How many hours did I work today, and on what
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 08:51:25 -0400

Daniel Clemente <address@hidden> writes:

> El dl, jun 08 2009, Bernt Hansen va escriure:
>> In the agenda hit 'R' to get a clock report that only covers the period
>> of time displayed by the agenda.
>>

>   I had tried this but found it too ugly and hard to understand and I
>   abandoned it. Now I'm retaking it and searching what changes I
>   should do to make it comfortable. Some notes:
>
> 1. I didn't want to group tasks by level-2 headers, but show all tasks
> instead (at any level). Therefore I should use: (setq
> org-agenda-clockreport-parameter-plist '(:link t :maxlevel 99 ))

I use (:link nil :maxlevel 2).  This gives me totals for level 1 and
level 2 headings only.

My level 1 tasks tend to be categories mostly (Appointments, System
Maintenance, etc) and level 2 and deeper are the clocked items.

> 2. The table is too wide and lines span into several visible lines. I
> should either learn to trim the table columns, or activate
> truncate-lines somehow when the table is bigger than the window.

Keeping task headlines short should help.  The table can get wide but my
lines never wrap.  For me truncate-lines is t in the agenda.  I have a
function key (f7) to toggle truncate lines on and off.

> 3. I don't understand the table format. It is showing hierarchical
> information and thus would fit much better in an outline. It doesn't
> let me expand/contract sections and I would like this because there
> are too many. It doesn't recognize or highlight the keywords or
> priorities. Furthermore, the keys to move between cells (left/right
> arrow) have other meanings in the agenda view (ex: change days).

It's a data table of clocked items only.  It's not folded or expandable
(like column mode).

I export the agenda view (C-x C-w) to a text file if I need a copy for
some other application.

> 4. It seems this report can't be easily extended; well, only
> with :formula lines, which may be complex to write by hand. Useful
> extensions would be: a) to show the effort estimate for each task (and
> so to discover whether you did the task in time). Or b) to show the
> exact time period(s) when you worked on each task.

The clock report in the agenda is mainly for reporting the time spent
working on items.  If you want to compare estimates with clocked amounts
for a particular subtree I would use a dynamic clock table instead.

You can specify block times to limit the range to specific dates.

See http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#SavingEstimate

HTH,
-Bernt