Re: [Orgmode] Exporting org to LaTeX to PDF: headings do not convert to

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Exporting org to LaTeX to PDF: headings do not convert to sections
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 00:44:53 +0200

On May 21, 2009, at 10:14 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:

 Thank you for the response.

On May 21, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

The only thing you can do in Org is to increase the number of headline levels to the maximum possible:

#+OPTION H:5

This doesn't work for me.

Typo:

is I think the maximum you can get.  You cal also create a
LaTeX class with more headline leves and push H even further.
I believe there are some clases which provide at least subsubparagraph.

If you have a good idea how to represent deeper levels in LaTeX, maybe we
can do something clever in the LaTeX exporter.

??????

I just realize that your question provides the answer to a question
I had for a long time:  Why did Bastien implement lower
levels in the LaTeX export as {description} lists instead of
{itemize} lists.  Now I know the answer:  Because the number of levels
in a description list is not limited.

I recently changed Bastien's code to use itemize instead, for
consistence with HTML export.  Fortunately I left the old code
in, with a customization option.  Please try:

(setq org-export-latex-low-level 'description)

So far, this doesn't solve my problem. Should I then use description lists for all outline entries?

No.  This should just take your

******** headline

and export it as a description list item. Works just fine in my tests here.

I don't understand why I do not see "section" or "subsection", and the sections often come out with bare stars. Is this also because the number of levels has been exceeded?

No, this must be a different bug, which I cannot reproduce. Example file???

- Carsten

Thank you again. This is the first limitation of LaTeX I have not seen an immediate way around.

Alan