[Orgmode] Some Javascript Adventures

From: Ian Barton
Subject: [Orgmode] Some Javascript Adventures
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 12:42:54 +0100

Yesterday on my bike ride I was listening to an old FLOSS Podcast about jQuery. There are a few things that Sebastian's org-info-js doesn't do, that I would like. Unfortunately, my knowledge of javascript is almost zero.

However, the jQuery library seems to have excellent documentation. More importantly using jQuery seems to mostly protect you from trying to debug your code on lots of different browsers, since the jQuery author has already done it for you.

After some experiments I cam up with the following snippets which toggle the visibility of DONE tasks and also timestamps. Hope someone finds them useful!

Ian.

<script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3/jquery.min.js"; type="text/javascript"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" >
<!--/*--><![CDATA[/*><!--*/

     $(document).ready(function(){

       $('#toggletimestamp').click(function() {
            $('span.timestamp-wrapper').toggle();
       });

       $('#toggledone').click(function() {
            myParent = $("span.done").parent();
            myParent.toggle();
       });
     });
/*]]>*/-->
</script>

You can set up a buttons to call these functions:

<input type="submit"
 name="toggletimestamp"
 value="Toggle Time Stamp"
 id="toggletimestamp" />