Re: [Orgmode] iCal export - possible timezone bug

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] iCal export - possible timezone bug
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 11:27:25 -0400

[Sorry about the fat-fingered empty response earlier.]

Richard Riley <address@hidden> wrote:

> >>    export TZ
> >>    TZ=Europe/Amsterdam
> >>
> >> e.g., in the appropriate login shell initialization file and get the
> >> correct behavior with the system date as well as with org-icalendar.
>
> I tried in my .xinitrc and my .bashrc and my /etc/bash.bashrc and it
> didn't seem to pick up for the export correctly.

For my Ubuntu 8.04/Gnome setup, putting it in ~/.profile works. But it
depends on how your distro organizes the initialization of the desktop.
There is a reasonable writeup (again about Ubuntu) here:

     http://linuxgazette.net/161/okopnik.html

It has to be part of the environment of whatever process starts your
emacs (probably gnome-session), so it has to be set in an initialization
file that gnome-session reads. The reason that ~/.profile works in Ubuntu
is that gnome-session reads /etc/gdm/Xsession which includes the following:

,----
| # First read /etc/profile and .profile
| test -f /etc/profile && . /etc/profile
| test -f "$HOME/.profile" && . "$HOME/.profile"
| # Second read /etc/xprofile and .xprofile for X specific setup
| test -f /etc/xprofile && . /etc/xprofile
| test -f "$HOME/.xprofile" && . "$HOME/.xprofile"
`----

HTH,
Nick