[Orgmode] Re: higher level headline as category

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: higher level headline as category
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 14:40:13 +0200

Eraldo Helal <address@hidden> writes:

> In my custom agenda: Is there a way to get the higher(by1level)
> *headline as prefix*?

No, not that I know of.  But you can use the :CATEGORY: property.

> test1.org:
>
> * headline1
    :PROPERTIES:
    :CATEGORY: headline1
    :END:

> ** TODO headline2
> ** TODO headline3
>
> test2.org:

Well, here it's a bit inconvenient.

> * headline4
    :PROPERTIES:
    :CATEGORY: headline4
    :END:

> ** headline5
    :PROPERTIES:
    :CATEGORY: headline5
    :END:

> *** TODO headline 6
> ** TODO headline 7        :tag1:
>
> agenda:
>
> headline1    TODO headline2
> headline1    TODO headline3
> headline4    TODO headline7        :tag1:
> headline5    TODO headline6

I think that should give the desired results, but for deeper structures
always adding a property is really inconvenient.  Once I used properties
quite intensively, but after a while I switched to using tags and
categories only for distinguishing private from work related things (and
there the categories are the org file names).

Bye,
Tassilo