[Orgmode] Re: Two questions about latex export

From: Robert Goldman
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Two questions about latex export
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:35:00 -0500

Robert Goldman wrote:
> 1.  I am making a table of conditional probabilities.  This means the
> table headers look like this: p(e|\omega), for example.  The vbar in the
> header confuses orgmode.  It thinks that's a column-delimiter.  Adding a
> prefix \ does not help.  Is there a work around?  For the moment I put
> \newcommand{\vbar}{|} in a latex block and use \vbar in place of |.
> Works, but makes the table a little less readable than I'd like.
>
> more importantly:
>
> 2.  I put an eqnarray* environment in my org file.  The equation breaks
> across multiple lines so it looks like this:
>
> \begin{eqnarray*}
>
> x &=& blah blah blah \\
>   &=& blah blah blah \\
>     &=& blah blah blah \\
> \end{eqnarray*}
>
> org-mode quotes (backslashes) the &=& so they don't get interpreted
> correctly.  Is there something I can do to keep that from happening?

A quick follow up to this one.  The bug does NOT occur if I substitute
eqnarray for eqnarray*.  I believe that this means that the constant
org-latex-entities in org-latex.el needs to be modified to admit the
starred (unnumbered) variants of the latex math operators.

Unfortunately, my simple-minded attempt to butcher in stars has run
aground on the shoals of my ignorance of the combination of emacs-lisp
string escapes, and emacs regexpressions.  Simply adding

"\\begin{eqnarray*}"

to that list won't work, and even

"\\begin{eqnarray\\*}"

doesn't seem to do the right thing.  if anyone can put me on the right
track, I'll try to provide a patch.

Thanks!