Re: [Orgmode] org-mode on sloooow computer

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-mode on sloooow computer
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:26:22 +0200

8-10 seconds, that is a lot.

On Apr 23, 2009, at 6:38 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

Hi,

I've been using org-mode more and more and, unsurprisingly, it gets
slower and slower due to the increasing amount of data org-mode has to
parse and evaluate.  On my desktop systems (and on my full-featured
laptop), this is not yet a problem [1].  On my little netbook (the
original eee pc from Asus which is used primarily for org-mode!), there are some annoyances due to the much slower cpu. I'd like to mention one
that I believe should be easy to fix (for those with much more elisp
expertise than my own...):

When in agenda view, when org-agenda-goto-date is invoked (typically
with 'j'), the agenda view is regenerated for today's date regardless of
which date I am currently viewing, before allowing me to input a date.

I don't think I can reproduce this.

This seems an unnecessary step and I wonder whether it would be easy to
change?  On my Asus, regenerating the view for my current date (with
todos, scheduled items, etc) takes at least 8 seconds!  When I'm
checking out various dates in the future for possible meetings or
whatever, having to wait up to 10 seconds each time I look at a
different date gets a little frustrating.

I've had a look at org-agenda-goto-date and org-read-date but it's not
immediately apparent to me why the current date's view has to be
generated.

- Carsten