[Orgmode] Re: C-u C-c C-x C-j to directly jump to the task with there is

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: C-u C-c C-x C-j to directly jump to the task with there is just one?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:33:07 -0400

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> When the list of recent tasks only has one item, would it make sense to
> directly jump to it?  Or maybe people use `C-u C-c C-x C-j' as a way to
> check what has been done (without jumping to the task)?

For the prefix only it would probably be okay to just jump there if
there is only a single match.  I've seen cases where there is the same
match for 3 entries (d - default clock task, i-interrupted task, and
c-current task (or [1] current task if you are not clocking now but that
never happens for me)  I guess we could ignore the current, default, and
interrupted tasks and only consider what is in the recent list.

I use this to change tasks I'm clocking (F11 = C-c C-x C-j).  I
occasionally use it with the prefix to jump to a task I was recently
clocking.  I don't think my list is ever empty since I save it between
Emacs restarts and my org-clock-history is set at 35.

I do sometimes use 'q' to bail out of the list without doing anything
(since 'q' is never a valid selection key but I should probably just use
C-g instead) -- I go to clock something else in and then change my mind
and find a new task to clock in elsewhere.

I would not want the default behaviour to change if you are selecting a
task to clock.  I'm okay with directly jumping for the prefix only case.

-Bernt