Re: [Orgmode] Technical Issue with compiling org mode

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Technical Issue with compiling org mode
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:40:21 +0100

Krishan Rajaratnam wrote:
Hi I tried to install org mode by following the instructions and using make, but Im not very familiar with make and I got an error. Im sending this email to try to get this problem resolved. Here
are the details:
Im using regular emacs so I left the emacs binary as emacs, and my share file is right under usr (not under local) so my prefix was /usr. My makefile details are shown below: EMACS= emacs
prefix=/usr ;there is no local file where share is found
lispdir = $(prefix)/share/emacs/site-lisp
infodir = $(prefix)/share/info
Then I entered make in the commandline window and I got alot of messages saying certain fuctions weren't
found and at the end I got an  error message:
While compiling toplevel forms in file /home/Krishan/org_mode/lisp/org-protocol.el:
!! File error (("Cannot open load file" "url"))
Done
make: *** [lisp/org-protocol.elc] Error 1

I would suggest that unless you need org to be available to all users on your computer, you install it somewhere in your home directory. I install org in #/.emacs-lisp/org and my makefile looks like:

# Name of your emacs binary
EMACS=emacs

# Where local software is found
prefix=~/.emacs-lisp

# Where local lisp files go.
lispdir = $(prefix)/org

Also what OS are you using - Linux, Windows, Mac?

Ian.