Re: [Orgmode] Re: Counter cookies and mixed checkbox lists/subtasks

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Counter cookies and mixed checkbox lists/subtasks
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:45:46 +0200

On Apr 16, 2009, at 11:05 AM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

there is no way currently to force a cookie either way.

I think the the right solution is to modify the structure, so
that the check boxes are only in entries without children.
Seems to me that this is always possible - in your case
you could just create a "first child" that gets the checkboxes.

okay, as said, this is rather a minor annoyance. However, fixing this
might nevertheless be desirable since the combination of checkboxes and
todo item is quite powerful.

Imagine you are compiling a document where you need contributions from
others. You could make a todo item for this with checkboxes for every
chapter planned (or for every author you expect input from, or ...). As
soon as contributions from authors arrive, you create todo items
preferably below the same initial todo item, indicating that you have to integrate input. When compiling the document you finish those todo items
on the one hand and on the other hand checkboxes will eventually get
checked as chapters are finished. Although putting the chapter
checkboxes into its own sub-item is possible, much of the simplicity and
elegance of the original approach gets lost. What do you think?

Well, I don't really agree.

* TODO compile document
  [ ] get input from Chris
  [ ] get input from Alice
** TODO integrate input from Chris
** TODO integrate input from Alice.

You could easily do:

* TODO compile document
** Get input
   [ ] get input from Chris
   [ ] get input from Alice
** TODO integrate input from Chris
** TODO integrate input from Alice.

This is what I mean with "you can always restructure
to avoid the problem".  I think the second option is at
least as clear, maybe clearer.

I do like the simplicity of the cookies right now, adding
specifiers of what they refere to would make them less
usable in my mind.

- Carsten