Re: [Orgmode] How to define TODOs within continuous text the best way?

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] How to define TODOs within continuous text the best way?
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 18:16:33 +0100

Karl Maihofer <address@hidden> writes:
> Perhaps it is possible to define TODOs as a very deep-level heading,
> that isn't needed, like "********** TODO text" and change the export
> function that this level isn't exported as a heading but as a
> "div"-Container? Or every heading that contains "TODO" is not exported
> as a heading but as a div-container?

Yes, this is possible. By default only the first three levels are
exported as headlines. Any headline that is deeper nested, is exported
as a list item.

The variable in question is

   `org-export-headline-levels'

> What is the best way to handle TODOs within continuous text?

Those list items are not displayed inline, but produce no entry in the
TOC.

I have several commands like that defined (\rzidea, ...) and some
produce a box with an icon and frame, that does not use the margin.

Here's the inline version:

=> --->8----------------------------->8----------------------------->8---

\newcommand { \rztodoinline }
[1]
{\colorbox[rgb]{1,0.4,0.2}{\textbf{TODO}}{\textbf{~#1}}}

<= ---8<-----------------------------8<-----------------------------8<---

For things I need to fix in the document itself, I prefer a more visible
presentation of TODOs. For LaTeX/PDF I even use this here:

=> --->8----------------------------->8----------------------------->8---
* Headline

  some text here...

  \rztodo{Description of todo.}

  more text here...

<= ---8<-----------------------------8<-----------------------------8<---

\rztodo is command defined in an LaTeX include file:

=> --->8----------------------------->8----------------------------->8---

\newcommand { \rztodo }
[1]
{%
  \medskip
  \nopagebreak
  \noindent
  \rule{\textwidth}{0.5pt}\\*[1mm]
  \marginpar{\colorbox[rgb]{1,0.4,0.2}{\textbf{TODO}}}
  #1\\*[-1mm]
  \rule{\textwidth}{0.5pt}\\
  \nopagebreak[3]
}

<= ---8<-----------------------------8<-----------------------------8<---

This creates a _very_ visible box in the margin and the result looks
like this (TODO is white on red):

1 Headline

  some text here...

  Description of todo.                                    | TODO |

  more text here...

Best Regards,

   Sebastian