Re: [Orgmode] iPhone ----> org-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] iPhone ----> org-mode
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:39:45 +0100

On Mar 25, 2009, at 11:57 AM, William Henney wrote:

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Ian Barton <address@hidden> wrote:

I do hope that this will not stop python hackers from exploring
this further, because I thought that the python solution was really
good and innovative, and it shows what can be done with modules like
the ones Charles has put out.

- Carsten

Don't worry it wont:) I have set up a repo for my Python version at
git://github.com/geekinthesticks/org-reqall.git . It doesn't have anything in it at the moment, because I stupidly put my own reqall rss url in one of
the versions for testing purposes, so its in the version history.

I also have been hacking on Ian's python script - I hope you don't mind!

I changed it to support Ta-da lists (tadalist.com) rather than reqall.
In my opinion, ta-da list is a much simpler and has a nice clean
interface. It has the disadvantage that it doesn't have an
accompanying iPhone/Touch app that works offline, although it does
have a beautiful ipod-optimized web interface. And it doesn't support
bling such as voice memos, but then reqall doesn't support voice memos
on the Touch either, even if you have an external mic :(

Anyway, I am attaching it (sync-tadalist.py) in case anyone finds it
useful. In particular, it has a few changes that Ian might want to
fold back into his version. For instance, it solves the private URL
problem by reading it from an external dot file. Also, the original
was repeatedly parsing the org file inside the loop over feed entries.
This is unnecessary, so I have moved it outside.

I guess that ideally we want a webservice that

1. Allows adding tasks etc via a mobile device, preferably with
offline capabilities and syncing

2. Exports RSS feeds of tasks so that org-mode can grab them

3. Exports an API that would let org-mode write information back to
the service, e.g., marking a task as done

Does anyone know of a service that supports all 3?

I don't know any, but the number of apps is always growing.

I am still looking for a dedicated iPhone developer who will write
and Org-mode app :-)

Cheers

- Carsten