Re: [Orgmode] Re: Restrict agenda view to multiple files matching a patt

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Restrict agenda view to multiple files matching a pattern?
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 15:12:10 +0100

On Mar 23, 2009, at 8:47 PM, Ross Patterson wrote:

Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ross,

Ross Patterson <address@hidden> writes:

Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

Ross Patterson <address@hidden> writes:

So far at least, I have my tasks broken up into multiple *.org files whose names reflect general categories. Often I want to look at the
agenda view for files starting with "work" to look at all my work
tasks.

Is there a way I can do this or a better way I should be organizing my tasks? Putting all my tasks into one work file would just be way too much as I am a freelancer and have a lot to keep track of. Similarly I don't really want to tag every work task just to support this. Any
suggestions?

The following FAQs provide some tips on how to do this:

- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#limit-agenda-with-tag-filtering

- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#limit-agenda-with-category-match >
Sorry, should have been clearer, I want to look at my work*.org tasks in
the the *day/week agenda* view, not just the task listing.

I'm a bit confused. One of the FAQs explains how to do precisely that
using #+FILETAGS and tag filtering (i.e., the same solution as Bernt's
email).

The second link results in a headline list, not an "agenda day/week"
view.

You can make a full agenda view and then press "/ TAB work RET" to
filter this view down to entries to have the tag or file tag :work: defined.
THis is what Bernt and Matt have described.  So the filtering
happens *after* the full was created.

You seem to be saying that all the files you want to look at look like
workaaa.org workbbb.org?

Then you can use another trick of Matt which he describes in his
tutorial about agenda custom commands:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("W" "Work agenda" agenda ""
((org-agenda-files (file-expand-wildcards "~/org/ work*.org"))))
        ;; ...other commands here
         ))

This one works by temporarily only looking at these specific files, selected
by file name.

There are more than one ways to do things here.

HTH

- Carsten