Re: [Orgmode] Re: can the symbol for leading stars be changed?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: can the symbol for leading stars be changed?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:22:02 +0100

On Mar 16, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

Gray Calhoun <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Gray,

 Is there a way for users to easily replace the leading stars with
another symbol?  In particular, I want to replace the '*' with '#' so
that I use org mode to write pseduocode for R in outline form -- R
uses # to designate comments and this would ensure that the headers
wouldn't be read as code.

I guess you want to use `orgstruct-mode' in R files, right? I also had
the idea to do that, but till now I failed.  As a workaround I use
`outline-minor-mode' and set the `outline-regexp' to <comment- character
of the language><one-or-many-stars>.

Here's the code from my .emacs.

(defun th-outline-regexp ()
 "Calculate the outline regexp for the current mode."
 (let ((comment-starter (replace-regexp-in-string
                         "[[:space:]]+" "" comment-start)))
   (when (string= comment-start ";")
     (setq comment-starter ";;"))
   (concat "^" comment-starter "\\*+")))

(defun th-outline-minor-mode-init ()
 (interactive)
 (setq outline-regexp (th-outline-regexp)))

(add-hook 'outline-minor-mode-hook
         'th-outline-minor-mode-init)

I wonder if I cannot make `orgstruct-mode' work the same way.  I've
always thought that it uses `outline-regexp' for the cycling and stuff,
but maybe I'm wrong.  What's the correct regexp that's used for
`org-cycle'?  `org-complex-heading-regexp'?

org-cycle does use outline-regexp, so this will work fine.  However,
for much other functionality, including demotion and promotion,
stars are hard-coded.

- Carsten