Re: [Orgmode] ~verbatim~ and =code= inconsistency exporting to Latex/HTM

From: Emilio Garcia Cota
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] ~verbatim~ and =code= inconsistency exporting to Latex/HTML
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 20:23:06 +0100

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> The reason for this is that in LaTeX, inline pieces use
>
> \verb=[a-zA-Z_]=
>
> If "=" is part of the string, this construct fails.  Whatever character
> I choose,  it will fail for someone.  I guess I could use the
> paragraph symbol §, maybe this is the least likely one of them all?
> it works in my LaTeX installation - could a few more people try this
> on their systems?
>
> does
>
> \verb§bladibla§
>
> work in LaTeX?

It works, but it would just move the problem somewhere else instead of
solving it.

More flexible solutions (yet more involved) could be:
- Escape the characters ourselves (i.e. do not use \verb)
- have a stack of suitable delimiter characters (i.e. any character except
  letters, * or space) and use the first one that's not in the region.

A simpler solution would be to stick to '=' and '~' as delimiters,
documenting this shortcoming when exporting to LaTeX.

> Yes, I know this, both constructs use \verb in LateX.  I'd say this is
> clearly good enough, though.

Agreed.

> Is there a non-monospaced, verbatim equivalent for \verb in LaTeX?

AFAIK there isn't.

> What should it influence?  The standard LaTeX header we use (maketitle)
> does not list the email.  You can build your own title, using
> {{{email}}}
> as a place holder.

I was expecting it to generate something like this:
\author{my Name $<$\href{mailto:address@hidden@ma.il}$>$
Anyway yes, I could do it myself.

By the way, using \verb inside other commands (such as \section) is
forbidden in LaTeX; shall we include a warning in the manual, silently
ignore ~~ and == in those places, or maybe just leave as it is (It'll
break when compiling the.tex) ?