[Orgmode] Re: ~verbatim~ and =code= inconsistency exporting to Latex/HTM

From: Baoqiu Cui
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: ~verbatim~ and =code= inconsistency exporting to Latex/HTML
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:23:09 -0700

> On Mar 12, 2009, at 9:39 PM, Emilio Garcia Cota wrote:
>
>> #+TITLE: (bug|feature)? report -- exporting ~verbatim~ and =code=
>> into Latex
>> #+AUTHOR: me
>> #+EMAIL: address@hidden
>> # I use latest Git (that's 1 commit ahead of 6.24c) on Emacs 22.3.1
>>
>> * ~verbatim~ and =code=---inconsistency exporting to Latex and HTML
>>
>> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
>>  [a-zA-Z_]
>>  [!#&*+-/:;<=>?]
>>  [\t\n\r ,]
>>  This works OK
>> #+END_EXAMPLE
>>
>>  However if I want to randomly inline any of those in a paragraph,
>>  =[!#&*+-/:;<=>?]= they're not properly escaped =[a-zA-Z_]= for Latex
>>  ---while for HTML =[\t\n\r ,]= org-mode does the Right Thing(tm).
>
> The reason for this is that in LaTeX, inline pieces use
>
> \verb=[a-zA-Z_]=

Don't know if this is a good idea, but can we scan the text string and
dynamically choose a delimiter that does not appear in the string?  We
need to have some delimiter candidates to choose from, and have to spend
some extra CPU cycles to scan the string, which can be assumed short??

> If "=" is part of the string, this construct fails.  Whatever character
> I choose,  it will fail for someone.  I guess I could use the
> paragraph symbol §, maybe this is the least likely one of them all?
> it works in my LaTeX installation - could a few more people try this
> on their systems?
>
> does
>
> \verb§bladibla§
>
> work in LaTeX?

I got the following error on my MacBook:

ERROR: Package inputenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined

--- TeX said ---
(inputenc)                in inputencoding `utf8'.

See the inputenc package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.43   \verb.§
              bladibla.§
--- HELP ---
>From the .log file...

You need to provide a definition with \DeclareInputText
or \DeclareInputMath before using this key.

Baoqiu