[Orgmode] Re: DocBook exporter for Org-mode

From: Baoqiu Cui
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: DocBook exporter for Org-mode
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 00:36:01 -0800

Gour <address@hidden> writes:

> Sebastian> I highly apreciate the support of Docbook and your
> Sebastian> effort. Yet, I think I don't want to publish XHTML through
> Sebastian> Docbook.
>
> +1
>
> I gave up on DocBook long ago. It's pain to author documents in it and
> the tools are quite weak.

Actually nXML mode has made editing DocBook and other XML files a fun
process.  At least less "painful" than editing LaTeX files to many
people.

It is true that many open-source tools around DocBook are still not
perfect, but they should be good enough for most of the work of most
users.  Some commercial tools exist and are better, but they are not
free.  (I have not used reST, however it does not seem to me that it has
more tools than DocBook.)

> That why I don't like AsciiDoc as well being based on Docbook tool-chain
> and therefore decided to use reST markup which is much lighter, nicely
> supported and it can export to many formats (e.g. xhtml, odt, pdf..)

I just checked reST markup specifications, and they do look powerful
(but not very lightweight).  Maybe it *is* time to have a standard to
unify all these plain-text based lightweight markup languages: Muse,
Org, reST, asciidoc, all kinds of *wiki*, doxygen styles, etc.  These
languages won't be lightweight and easy to read once they become more
powerful.  At that point, I'd prefer to go back to LaTeX or DocBook.

> Therefore I'm interested about any hint how could reST be used with
> org-mode?

That may require some code sharing/merging between rst.el and Org-mode,
I guess.  :-)

Baoqiu