Re: [Orgmode] export and containers

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] export and containers
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 14:10:46 +0100

OK, so I will wait with making changes until you have
done some experimentation, maybe put that up somewhere,
so that others can have a look?

- Carsten

On Mar 2, 2009, at 12:58 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

Hi Sebastian,

On Mar 2, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

* Suggestions for names

`wrap' is, what they use in typolight and some other CMSs. But
`content' sounds good to me too.

<h2 id="sec-1"><span class="section-number-2">2</span> Konfiguration
</h2>
      ... more sections, footnotes ...

      postamble

How about these names for additional divs

content-wrap
content ;; I think we should just have one around the entire content. ;; should this also contain the <h1> with the page title?
               ;; I think yes

OK, one might be enough. There's a cross-browser CSS to center the contents
vertically with only one container:

#content-wrap
{
 margin-top:auto;
 margin-bottom:auto;
 vertical-align:middle;
}

And yes,  the title should be inside `content-wrap'

table-of-contents-wrap

footnote-wrap
bibliography-wrap
postamble-wrap

So we put all the stuff into specific "wrap" containers.
I don't so much like "column-1", because that looks fine
if you use it for columns, but it looks confusing if you
use it for something else...

Agreed.

How about `org(-container ?) for the outer most container? Think of
exporting the content only for inclusion into some framework. In that
case `org' seems a natural name.

Anyway, for sake of the TOC on the left, we should also wrap all the rest
of the contents in one <div> with postamble being the only exception.

The tree would simply be:

org
   title
   table-of-contents-wrap
      table-of-contents
   content-wrap
      sec-1...    - unchanged
      footnotes   - unchanged
      bibliography
   postamble    // already there

The reason for the container around everything excluding title, TOC and
postamble is, that I don't want the TOC to live in the left margin of
the <body>, the way it does now.

`float:left' for the TOC will cause the page to look funny in the most
cases:

 +-----+--------------+
 | TOC |  TITLE       |
 +-----+  SEC-1       |
 |  SEC2              |
 |  SEC2              |
 |  FOOTNOTES         |
 +--------------------+
 |     POSTAMBLE      |
 +--------------------+

Better:

 +-----+--------------+
 | TOC |  TITLE       |
 |     |  SEC-1       |
 |     |  SEC2        |
 |     |  SEC3        |
 |     |  FOOTNOTES   |
 +--------------------+
 |     POSTAMBLE      |
 +--------------------+

And this one here would be nice (all navigational elements visible on
load):

 +-----+--------------+-----+
 | TOC |  TITLE       | LOT |
 |     |  SEC-1       +-----+
 |     |  SEC2        | LOF |
 |     |  SEC3        +-----+
 |     |  FOOTNOTES   | BIB |
 +-----+--------------+-----+
 |        POSTAMBLE         |
 +--------------------------+

Some people (see drupal) put the postamble into the right/center column
for two and three column layout respectively. I don't like that very
much.

What we should do before we change anything, is to experiment with one
simple document and different stylesheets, to ensure everything works
the way we want it to.

I'll set up some with the different aproaches and try to add different
CSS stylesheets. Our aim must be to make many different layouts possible
(we will never make _all_ possible layouts feasable though).

Important layouts are:

 | Name                    | example          |
 |-------------------------+------------------|
 | Fixed TOC               | orgmode.org      |
 | Floating TOC            | orgmode.org/worg |
 | Please add more here...                    |

 The usual page-flow will always stay what it is as long as no special
 styles are added.

Best,

  Sebastian

- Carsten

        the toc

      All the rest of the content goes here

      postamble

Having two boxes for the TOC would make the fixed TOC work in IE. In
general, I prefere to use two kinds of Boxes:

- one for positioning, floating and so on. This one should have _no_
  padding or margin at all!

Can one not simply use .body for that?

- one for margin, padding, styling.

I found, this is the only way to reliably enforce a layout across
browsers.

column-1 and column-2 are for that very reason. All we can do to put the TOC to the left or right is, to add margins to the body or the level 1 contents, and place it there. This is, what causes the problems with the fixed TOC in IE. `column-1' and `column-2' (and `postamble') make it
possible, to adjust the layout in various common ways.

The `percent-50' (oh what a name) and `wrap' are just there, to be able
to center the whole page horizontally _and_ veritcally.

Best,

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472