Re: [Orgmode] org-id: always add IDs

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-id: always add IDs
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 17:11:36 +0100

On Feb 27, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

Hi,

I have several questions concerning IDs.

Is there a prefered method to _always_ add an org-id to an entry?

(add-hook 'org-insert-heading-hook
        (lambda () (org-id-get-create)))

The IDs would become _realy_ usefull, if I could add them automatically
whenever a new entry is created (a headline) that is _not_ below
`org-export-headline-levels'.

You need to do more work if you want to have id' only for the top
few levels, then you first need to find out what the level is.
You can look at the dynamically scoped variable `head' which will
contain the stars to be inserted (and, maybe, also a space,
careful there)

On the other hand, I don't see why it it would be a problem
to have ids in headlines below the limit.  But I do not yet know
how well my ID mechanism will scale.  Should be pretty good, actually.

Is it possible to have an ID added, even if the headline is added by
hand (i.e. typing `* headline')?

No easily.  The fastest way to get one added by hand is to store
a link to the heading with `C-c l'.  If `org-link-to-org-use-id' is t
or 'create-if-interactive', an id will be added.

Can this be achieved using an advice? How to do that?

Since no special function is called when you type a headline,
it would have to be advice to org-self-insert-command.
Very likely that would significantly slow down typing, I strongly
advice against doing that.

Is it possible to tell Org-mode to add IDs to all the entries that have
none yet?

(org-map-entries '(org-id-get-create) "LEVEL<5" 'agenda)

Make sure the scope (here `agenda') is so that you will reach the files
you want.

How would I tell emacs to update Org-mode's ID database?

M-x org-id-update-id-locations RET

See the docstring to make sure it will reach the right files

Could the org-id be added when publishing?

Like
   <h2 id="sec-2"> HEADLINE
   </h2>
or similar?

They already are in the HTML, I am surprised you never noticed.

- Carsten