Re: [Orgmode] export and containers

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] export and containers
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:37:17 +0100

Richard Riley <address@hidden> writes:
> It's been a while since I've looked at my org set up. One thing that
> always struck me as a bit hacky was my use of
>
> :preamble "<div id='content'>
>
> and the corresponding postamble to enclose the exported web pages into a
> "container" div. Is there a better way to do this? I would think it
> would be a common enough need that by default or via an option all html
> should be enclosed in a "webcontainer" ID.

While one container around everything makes it possible to center the
page horizontally, two containers make it possible to center the page
vertically as well.

If we would go and change the structure once again, I'd even suggest the
following:

          the toc

        All the rest of the content goes here

        postamble

Having two boxes for the TOC would make the fixed TOC work in IE. In
general, I prefere to use two kinds of Boxes:

  - one for positioning, floating and so on. This one should have _no_
    padding or margin at all!
  - one for margin, padding, styling.

I found, this is the only way to reliably enforce a layout across
browsers.

column-1 and column-2 are for that very reason. All we can do to put the
TOC to the left or right is, to add margins to the body or the level 1
contents, and place it there. This is, what causes the problems with the
fixed TOC in IE. `column-1' and `column-2' (and `postamble') make it
possible, to adjust the layout in various common ways.

The `percent-50' (oh what a name) and `wrap' are just there, to be able
to center the whole page horizontally _and_ veritcally.

Best,

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472