[Orgmode] Re: Using Git to update more than one machine (one without net

From: Paul Mead
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Using Git to update more than one machine (one without network access)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:12:12 +0000 (UTC)

David Thole <dthole <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Paul,
>
> The way I've accomplished the task you're talking about is instead of
> trying to push and pull *to* the work machine, I use another machine with
> less restrictive firewalls to push and pull from.  This is how I do it...
>
> Work <-> Web Server <-> Home
>
> The web server acts as my "USB Key", and I have cron jobs to pull and push
> updates to and from the servers.  So at 7:30, I can have a "git pull" on
> my work machine - so it would go to the web server, pull in and merge my
> changes before I got to work.  Then when I go home, say at 5:10, do a "git
> push" back to the web server.  At 5:30 or so my home machine can do a "git
> pull" and at 7:00 AM do a "git push".
>
> This works pretty well so far.  Another solution is to set up your home
> machine to have dyndns and enable SSH.  You can then just ssh into your
> home machine, and use org-mode that way too.  I've tried this quite a bit
> as well, and am kinda at a crossroads on which I like the most yet...
>
> I hope this helps.

Thanks David

your method looks similar to how I'm managing my init files - a single repo on
my usb key (in your case a web server) which I push to and pull from.

My current problem is more complicated (to me!) than that. I'm having difficulty
explaining it though.

On 'home' I pull changes from 'remote' at //repo.or.cz.

What I would like to do then is either:

1. change 'remote' to be my usb key and push changes to that, or
2. use 'home' as 'remote' from my usb key and pull changes.

Then I'd probably use the same strategy when I got to my 'work' laptop - either
the usb key is 'remote', or 'work' becomes 'remote' from POV of the usb.

More like this:

 repo.or.cz <-> Home <-> USB <-> Work

If it made it easier, I *could* do:

 repo.or.cz <-> USB -> Home