[Orgmode] Re: org-install.el in Emacs probably should be removed

From: Tim O'Callaghan
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-install.el in Emacs probably should be removed
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:38:00 +0100

On 16/02/2009, Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>
>  > On Feb 15, 2009, at 11:18 PM, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:
>  >

> >> The usage of org-install has the pre-requisite of having to compile
>  >> the org.el files. This is no use to people like myself, who want to
>  >> use the same .el files in XEmacs and Emacs due to incompatible .elc
>  >> problems. Its also no use to people who do no have a build system or
>  >> make binary installed e.g. windows users, locked down linux/unix
>  >> systems etc.
>  >>
>  >> How about adding a skeleton org-install.el that gets overwritten by
>  >> the make?
>  >
>  > org-install.el is part of the distribution tar and zip files.
>  > I cannot include it into the git repo because the git people tell
>  > me that it is a bad idea to keep a product file under git
>  > control (Bernt?).
>

> The main reason this is a bad idea in git master branch is that the file
>  gets automatic changes on different systems and looks modified after
>  each time you run make.  This file gets in the way of other (real)
>  changes since git thinks the working tree is dirty and prevents changing
>  branches, rebasing, or merging with a dirty tree.  The contents of the
>  org-install.el file are uninteresting and really does not belong in the
>  tracked files for the project since it is a product of the build
>  procedure.
>
>  If you want a skeleton org-install.el in the tar/zip files then you
>  probably should generate that when producing the tar/zip files.
>

>  -Bernt

That is a fair point, its usually counter productive to put a build
product under revision control.

So for the sake of those looking for an example one, you'll find a
generated example attached, for V6.23b

I wonder if it is possible to implement a mechanism to check the
'freshness' of the org-install? say embedding the org-version number
it was created with, and org checking to see if it is compatible, or
needs updating?

Tim.