[Orgmode] bug? in orgstruct-mode

From: Austin Frank
Subject: [Orgmode] bug? in orgstruct-mode
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 18:23:22 -0500

Hi all--

In normal org buffers, creating a new list item works fine at the end of
a multi-line list item, or on the line following a multi-line list item,
even if the multi-line item covers lots of lines.  In orgstruct-mode, it
seems that new items can't be inserted unless the current line is a list
item.

Can orgstruct-mode be made to be as good as org-mode at recognizing when
it's in a plain list?  It'd be nice to be able to create a new list item
after a multi-line item in orgstruct-mode.

Steps to reproduce:
1. emacs -Q -nw test.txt
2. `M-:' (require 'org-install)
3. `M-x orgstruct-mode'
4. Create a list item like

- item 1

5. `M-return' to get a new list item
6. `C-u C-4 C-0 x SPC C-u C-4 C-0 x' to get two long "words"
7. `M-q' to wrap the long list item.  Now looks like:

- item 1
- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

8a. At the end of the third line, try to add a new list item with
    `M-return'.  I get the message:

#v+
orgstruct-error: This key has no function outside structure elements
#v-

8b. At the beginning of a new line below the third line, hit
    `M-return'.  Same error.

Expected behavior:
Following the same sequence in org-mode, steps 8a and 8b will both
result in a new list item being created correctly.

This took me longer to figure out than it should have, but this also has
an unpleasant interaction with the default keybindings for message-mode.
If I am writing an email and try to insert a new list item after a
wrapped like using `M-return' I end up invoking
`message-newline-and-reformat', which moves me down a line and then
inserts four blank lines-- not what I wanted to do!  If orgstruct-mode
learns to recognize when it's in plain list context, this problem will
disappear :)

Thanks!
/au

--