[Orgmode] sorting and merging files

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: [Orgmode] sorting and merging files
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:09:42 +1000

I've gotten into a bit of a bind on sorting.  A little explanation:

I've been working at keeping the ~/org directory of three machines syncronized through a master repo on a USB flash drive.  I've made a bit of progress, and for simple updates, it is basically working.  I still don't grok merging conflicts.  I've finally ended up with a file with duplicates of entries, so I thought of concatenating files, then sorting these entries.  Each entry has a date (made from a remember template), so sorting by date makes sense.

Ideally, one should be able to do this, and then sort with C-u C-u C-c^.   I've tried this several times, and gotten bitten almost every time.  I guess the dates can only be sorted as text.  And duplicates are not removed.  I read the manual, but little help was gotten there.

What do I need to know to make sorting work, and what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for previous suggestions.

Alan

--
Alan Davis

It is undesirable to believe a proposition when
there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
    ---- Bertrand Russell
They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    ----   Sir Francis Bacon