[Orgmode] Re: Advice sought on managing decision alternatives.

From: Tom Breton (Tehom)
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Advice sought on managing decision alternatives.
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 15:07:05 -0500 (EST)

> Hi Tom,
> [...]

> WIth you patch, we have right now
>
> CHOOSE    as the prefix
> choseness as the interpretation
> org-decision as the name of the module.
>
> My request would be to maybe use `choose' also as the
> interpretation symbol, or, alternatively, CHOSENESS
> as the prefix.

Yes.  I think "choose" is best; the ambiguity between "chosenness" and
"choseness" just invited difficulties.

Always feel free to suggest alternatives to my naming.  Sometimes my
initial ideas go in a funny direction.  Eg, my initial thinking, which I
now abandon, was:

 * org-DECISIONS.el because it supports decisions.
 * CHOSENNESS because it's the property the item has of being chosen or not.
   As William observed, it's grammatically correct but rare.
 * CHOOSE because I saw that CHOSENNESS has problems.

So "choose" it is.  I'd like to rename the file org-choose.el as well, now
that I think about the naming.

Do you want a patch for it?

> For customizing org-todo-keywords, instead of explicitly
> offering `choseness', maybe we can use a symbol field
> where people can type into.

It's more flexible but offers less support to the user.  Maybe we can have
the best of both worlds by restricting the choice to interpretations that
available modules support.  Ie, something like this:

 * Object: a variable that holds the names of the interpretation symbols,
or of the ones that aren't built in.
 * Behavior: interested modules add their interpretation symbol to the list
 * Behavior: When customizing org-todo-keywords, offer the symbols from
   that list as choices for interpretation symbols.

The primary difficulty would be getting widgets to understand that.

> That would turn your patch into a generally useful system
> of hooks where other ideas could be implemented as well.
>
> What do you think?

Sounds good to me.

Tom Breton (Tehom)