[Orgmode] Re: Installing on windows

From: Tony Mc
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Installing on windows
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:38:15 +0000

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:19:50 -0600, Bill Raynor <address@hidden>
wrote:

> I and many others would be grateful for a detailed step-by-step tutorial on
> installing org-mode on windows. The basic instructions work just fine on,
> say, OS X (edit makefile, make and make install) but don't work on windows.
> Using emacs on windows is quite simple (download and install) but updating
> Org doesn't work so well.
>
> In the past I've used dired to attempt to compile the directory directly,
> which gets lots of error messages, but sort of works. I read a recent post
> on installing cygwin, but that doesn't quite work, as the post neglected to
> mention that you have to install cygwin + some unspecified packages (to get
> make, for instance). I trying that now.  I am also using the W32 version of
> emacs.

I use a batch file for JP Software's TCC (the successor to 4NT and
4DOS) command line. I have copied the batch file below, I don't think
it would take much editing to make it work with the built-in cmd.exe
command processor. When I download a new org-xxx.zip file I just close
Emacs and run:

        org_update xxx

and it takes care of the unpacking, batch compiling, installing into
my elisp directory and cleaning up temporary files afterwards. You
will probably need to change some of the paths (I have Emacs installed
in C:\Emacs and my customization directory is D:\.emacs.d

I hope that is of some help to you.
Tony

org_update.btm follows:

@ECHO OFF
REM Update the Emacs org-mode automatically
REM Usage: org_update xxx
REM   to update to version xxx
SETLOCAL
SET ORGFILES=org-%1
SET EMACS=C:\emacs\bin\emacs.exe
SET EMACS_OPTS=--batch -q -eval "(progn (add-to-list (quote load-path)
(expand-file-name \"./lisp/\")) (add-to-list (quote load-path)
\"D:/.emacs.d/elisp\"))" -f batch-byte-compile
SET ELISPDIR=D:\.emacs.d\elisp
SET INFODIR=D:\.emacs.d\info
SET DOWNLOADDIR=D:\Downloads\Editors\Emacs\Elisp
SET ORGZIPFILE=%ORGFILES.zip

REM Unpack the downloaded file in a temp directory
CDD %DOWNLOADDIR
c:\pacl\paext -o+ -d -p%TEMP\ %ORGZIPFILE
CDD %TEMP\%ORGFILES\lisp

REM Compile the Elisp sources
FOR %f in (org*.el) %EMACS %EMACS_OPTS %f

REM Copy parts of the archive to where Emacs can find them
COPY org*.el org*.elc %ELISPDIR\
COPY ..\doc\org %INFODIR\
COPY ..\doc\org.pdf ..\doc\orgcard.pdf %INFODIR\

REM Cleanup temp files
CDD %TEMP\
DEL %ORGFILES\*.* /s /x /y
ENDLOCAL